Antipsychotic Drugs and Fatal Skin Reaction

Yet another drug warning is being put out there by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)! It seems that the anti-psychotic prescription drug, Geodon (generic ziprasidone) from Pfizer has a new drug label warning: Drug Reaction with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms (DRESS). This condition can begin with a rash that spreads all over the body, but can also give the sufferer symptoms such as fever, swollen lymph nodes, and organ inflammation!

Geodon was doled out in the amount of two and a half million last year, prescribed for schizophrenia and bipolar I disorder. It is supposed to help patients experience less psychotic symptoms, delusions, and hallucinations. Whether it has or has not been helpful for such symptoms, the drug has caused DRESS for eleven to thirty days in some patients. The FDA has advised that physicians halt treatment with Geodon immediately if they suspect their patient is suffering from DRESS.

If you or someone you love takes Pfizer’s Geodon and suffers from the symptoms of a rash and/or swollen lymph nodes, seek medical attention immediately. DRESS has the potential to be fatal. You may also consult with the attorneys who strive to protect you from bad drug reactions, Inserra & Kelley, to see what your rights might be.

Caffeine Powder FDA Warning

Another warning from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is imploring consumers to avoid use of pure caffeine powders after being linked officially to two deaths of young males. These caffeine powders are often used to enhance athletic performance, to work longer, to study longer, to lose weight, and to have increased energy. A single teaspoon of these powders, widely available online for purchase, equals twenty-five cups of coffee!

The parents of the two young men who died as a result of these caffeine powders are urging the FDA to go further than warning against the product and instead banning them. Logan Stiner was only eighteen years old and a high school senior when he died from pure caffeine powder ingestion. James Wade Sweatt was only 24 years old when he went into a coma and eventually died after using the caffeine powder in hopes that it would replace depending too much upon energy drinks and soda. Both of these young men were said to be healthy young men, who were both conscientious and smart about what they put in their bodies.

It only takes a very small amount of pure caffeine powder to experience a rapid heartbeat, seizures, and death. Symptoms of high caffeine intake of these powders, as well as other sources, can yield unpleasant side effects such as insomnia, restlessness, heart palpitations, irritability, nervousness, and anxiety. Energy drinks, more and more popular, also contain high levels of caffeine that can lead to unhealthy side effects. Parents should assure their children and adolescents are not using caffeine powders and other caffeine products. Pregnant women should never use them. Adults should take heed and stay away from them as well, as they are simply more risky than beneficial.

Be a smart consumer and stay away from pure caffeine powders! Consult your medical provider whenever considering the use of such a product to enhance energy or performance. We at Inserra & Kelley want health and happiness for all of you out there throughout this holiday season and in 2015!

Foodborne Illness – Tips for the Holidays

It is assumed you have not invited an unwelcome guest to your holiday celebrations this week, namely food-borne illnesses (aka food poisoning). This pesky guest tries to ruin your party via bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Do you know that 1 in 6 Americans, or 48 million, succumb every year to a variety of 250 foodborne illnesses that are not only miserable but infectious?! These statistics are sad given the fact that such illnesses are highly preventable, as are the awful symptoms of abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and Montezuma’s revenge.

Do not let yourself or your loved ones become part of the statistics this year. Instead, be proactive in preventing needless misery by taking some safe food handling tips from the experts. They first stress cleanliness (i.e. hand washing, clean food contact surfaces/tools, produce rinsing/brushing) and cannot stress soap and water enough. They say, however, not to rinse raw meat prior to cooking as that just promotes the spreading of dangerous bacteria. Second, experts warn against cross-contamination through mixing raw bacteria prone foods (i.e. raw meat, raw eggs, meat juices) with foods that will not be cooked (i.e. fruits and vegetables). Third, experts recommend that cooking thermometers be used in cooking all foods to assure they are done and safe to eat. Do not forget that things like using unpasteurized eggs in egg nog or eating that yummy cookie dough, with raw eggs, are raw food dangers as well! Finally, experts beg people to refrigerate their foods as fast as possible so that bacteria are not given the chance to grow in room temperatures. The refrigerator should be at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and the freezer should be at 0 degree Fahrenheit, and food should be defrosted in the refrigerator, with cold water, or in the microwave, taking care to cook the food immediately if thawed via the latter two ways. Do not forget pumpkin pie and related items are included and leftovers need to be eaten up or thrown away in about 3 to 4 days.

When it comes to consuming food, the old adage is good to remember, ‘when in doubt throw it out!’ Inserra & Kelley wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season spent enjoying loved ones fondly, and safely.