Keyless Ignition Deaths Jump

Back in the summer we warned about keyless ignitions being linked to carbon monoxide defects leading to sickness and death.  Ten of the big automakers were the defendants in lawsuits at that time due to the defects and now a new report out December 21, 2015 says that the numbers of injuries and deaths from keyless ignitions is increasing rather than going down. 

Read more

Third Wave of Asbestos Victims

You may have seen an earlier blog on our site discussing the dangers of asbestos and the deadly condition, mesothelioma being the worst consequence of the substance.  Since being outlawed in the 1970s, asbestos has been known to be a deadly cause of cancer, including mesothelioma, in individuals exposed to it.  In two earlier waves of asbestos victims, deadly cancers were found, often decades after exposure, because they had once worked as miners and millers in the first wave and insulators and shipbuilders in the second wave.  Now there is a new wave or generation of younger people being diagnosed with cancers caused by asbestos exposure and the fear is that this wave is going to claim the most victims.  The new victim may have worked in jobs such as fiber optic cable installers or as home renovators.  Although asbestos use was banned back in the 1970s there are still many places it still lurks and construction workers and many others could be in danger when it is uncovered.  It has been learned that an Australian martial arts champion died from mesothelioma after being exposed to it as a baby living in a home being remodeled.  The recommendation is to investigate before you renovate!

If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos with sickness and/or deadly consequences, please contact the professionals at Inserra & Kelley Law Offices   as you may be entitled to compensation. 

Dove Chocolate Assortments Recalled for Undeclared Allergens

Mars Chocolate of North America has issued a recall of its Dove Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes due to the product containing allergens, such as peanuts, egg, and wheat not specified on the packaging.  The candy was sold starting back in September of this year and was sold through the 1st of December.  It is believed that 6,700 cases of the product contained the allergen containing chocolate, which could be dangerous for consumers allergic to these ingredients.  The item number was 10139802 with a UPC code of 400050521.  The lot codes for the possibly contaminated products included 537C4PA30, 537DG4PA30, 538AG4PA30, 538AM4PA30, 541AG4PA20, and 542EM4PA20.

If you or a loved one became sick after eating one of the Dove chocolate snowflake candies, you may be entitled to compensation.  Do not hesitate to contact the caring professionals at Inserra & Kelley Law Offices.  Our firm values your safety and health through the holiday season and into the new year. 

Chipotle E.coli Cases Growing

As reported here previously, Chipotle restaurants in the United States are not having a good year.  The Centers for Disease Control has just come out again on December 21, 2015 with reports of more E. coli related illnesses linked to the embattled restaurant chain’s food.  The newest illnesses have been reported in Oklahoma, North Dakota, and Kansas, with five of the newest victims all having eaten at Chipotle a week before becoming ill. 

Read more

FDA May Ban Indoor Tanning for Under 18

Does your teenager use indoor tanning beds and booths?  If so, this habit may be hampered if the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) decides to go through with a “ban” for indoor tanning for individuals under the age of 18.  The supposed ban is more of a policy change to make things more difficult for teens wanting to use indoor tanning, as individuals using the services would be required to sign a form stating the risks are known the first time and every six months after that.   The tanning beds and booths themselves would also be required to make warnings clearer to the public; the eye wear would be improved to limit the amount of light getting to the eyes; the products would be required to have better labels on replacement bulbs; and there would need to be an off switch added to the bed for emergencies. 

Read more

Apps to Halt Distracted Driving

Distracted driving has become a big time problem in our hurried, technology addicted, constantly connected and on society.  Texting and driving is one of the biggest distractions of our times and the phenomenon causes thousands of fatal accidents in the United States alone each year.  Companies, including the cell phone companies themselves,  are taking notice and have developed  applications that will stop drivers from texting and driving.  There is a tendency to blame teen drivers for this vice, but any day out on the roads makes it clear it is a driver vice across the board, no matter the age. 

Read more

WEN Hair Products Lawsuit

Celebrity hair stylist and reality star, Chaz Dean is famous for a line of hair care products he created, called WEN, supposedly better for hair without all the harsh ingredients like lathering detergents.  However, these products are now part of an embarrassing lawsuit Mr. Dean is currently trying to settle without going to trial through a quick mediation in the lawsuit representing over 200 women for the damage done to their hair.  WEN products have been linked to alarming hair loss and bald spots.  The WEN products, which are sold through infomercials and retail outlets like Sephora, are pricey and the cause of much distress for women suffering from never ending bad hair days.  An amended lawsuit claims that WEN products “cause severe and possibly permanent damage to hair, including hair loss to the point of visible bald spots, severe hair breakage, scalp irritation and rash – even infection.” 

  If you or someone you know has suffered hair damage through the regular use of WEN haircare products, you may be entitled to compensation.  Do not hesitate to contact the caring professionals at Inserra & Kelley Law Offices to discuss your specific options.   

Hoverboard Dangers

Our Nebraska readers may associate the now popular hoverboard with its popularity among Nebraska Cornhusker football players.  In fact, the hoverboard has become a very popular craze nationwide and is sure to be a regular on the Christmas list of many Americans.  There is something the consumer should know, however, before purchasing one of these two wheeled scooters and it is not just that eight people were injured in recent months by falls from the boards, that users are running over other people, or even that people are getting lazier and less fit by using them.  It is that these hoverboards have been shown to be a cause for fires due to their rechargeable lithium batteries potentially sending sparks flying when plugged in for charging. 

Read more

Celery E.coli Outbreak

There is another E.coli contamination to report in celery.  It is not just regular celery purchased in produce departments all over the United States, but other products containing celery produced by Taylor Farms Pacific in California.  Consumers must also look at whether they have purchased salad kits, vegetable trays, chicken salad, and other packaged foods, and turkey sandwiches.  Starbucks sold the sandwiches and the chicken salad in Costco.  Other stores selling the suspect celery products include Walmart, Albertsons, Safeway, and 7-eleven.  The impacted states have been mostly in the western United States, but Nebraska, Arkansas, Hawaii, and Georgia are states added to the list so far.

Read more