Fidget Spinner Choking Hazards
2017 has netted a new, perhaps somewhat controversial, product fad in the fidget spinner. This toy was at first looked to by parents as a possible aid to kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or autism spectrum disorders. The popularity then spread like wildfire to the mainstream masses, perhaps looked to by harried parents to occupy their kids for a little while. The fidget spinner, in addition to not being as loved by teachers in the classroom as parents might think, now is found to be a choking hazard. A firefighter’s young daughter reportedly came close to choking on a metal piece that came flying off the spinner and into her mouth. The firefighter, schooled in rescues, reported performing five minutes’ worth of back blows to get the metal piece out of his own little one’s esophagus. The metal piece, unfortunately, then went into the girl’s stomach so she had to be hospitalized. This young girl’s story turned out okay in the end, but this girl is not the only story and the fidget spinners pose future risks for other users. A girl in Texas also had a part from her fidget spinner lodge in her throat and after the mother could not get it to dislodge by Heimlich maneuver, surgeons had to remove it endoscopically.
If you or a loved one has already been injured by a fidget spinner, or another product, do not hesitate to contact Inserra | Kelley | Sewell for compassionate expertise concerning whether there may be a claim to compensation.