Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month: Keyless Ignition and Accidental Deaths

November is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month, which aims to help protect people from the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Keyless fobs can seem like a modern convenience for car owners, but with no automatic shutoff, people can accidentally leave their cars running inside their garages, causing toxic carbon monoxide buildup. It can be especially dangerous for older drivers who have become accustomed to the idea that as long as a key or fob is with you, the car must be off —which is not always the case.

Because push-start cars have resulted in accidental death, current lawsuits are seeking justice against manufacturers who sell keyless fobs without adequate warnings or safety measures.

Additionally. The Society of Automotive Engineers has called for certain safety features to be implemented, such as beeps to alert drivers that cars are still running without the key fob in or near the car, or automatic engine shut-off.

There are other steps you can take to protect yourself in your home against carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Make sure your home is equipped with carbon monoxide detectors and you check the batteries every 6 months.
  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced every year.
  • Double check to ensure vehicles are turned off in the garage, and never leave them running in any partially enclosed space. 
  • Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. While there is no odor to carbon monoxide, you will exhibit symptoms if poisoned, including feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.

If you or a loved one has experienced an injury or tragedy relating to carbon monoxide and keyless cars, please call the experts at Inserra Kelley Sewell today for a free consultation.

 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.